12.22.2005

making plans for nigels

sunnO)))
northsix, 12/18

Indie-snobs must have really convinced themselves that they like sunnO))), since only 1/4 of the room cleared instead of the usual 1/2. The smoke machine reached the very back corners of the club, and the bowel-cleansing bass tones vibrated through the bleachers: a safer way to catch a cheap thrill than, say, sitting on the pool filter

But the real treat was the cryptic on-stage audience-baiting from black-metal purists Nachtmystium. Quoth Nachtmystium lead singer Azentrius before launching into one especially brutal number: "We don't give a fuck about any of you nigel hipsters!!!"

Naturally, I was curious. At first, i thought he must have been trying to make a reference to Arthur magazine, who dillegently (though reverently) fan the flames of black metal's recent hipster currency. Or maybe Azentrius was pointing to the ironic posturings of Spinal Tap's Nigel St. Hubbins?

So, I asked Azentrius, a boisterous fellow with a mischevious grin hidden behind a wall of sweaty brown hair, at his merch booth.

Apparently, Wrest, the dude from nihilistic one-man blackest-metal juggernaut Leviathan came up with the term in a moment of inspired mysanthropy. Azentrius is just spreading the word. i cannot resist to do my part:

NIGEL HIPSTER
('nI-jel 'hip-st&r)
Noun: Anyone who appreciates or supports black metal for ironic reasons, or because they find it humorous.
Ex.: Azentrius says that this article was written by a nigel hipster.




6 Comments:

Blogger J T. Ramsay said...

It's my guess that Bennett was just being playful; I'm pretty sure that he likes that disc and was genuinely interested in USBM, even though it wasn't taken very seriously by fans/critics until like November. I think that Wrest and Malefic's contributions to Black 1 are what make it more interesting to me than say White 2, and the 2 disc edition that was available at the show was totally worth it, even though it meant buying Black 1 twice!

Would you mind if I just block quoted your Dysrythmia review in full for this goofy Orthrelm split w/ Behold...the Arctopus? Damn Mike Patton!

10:20 PM  
Blogger Christopher R. Weingarten said...

White 1 and White 2 are just full of goofiness. Although I'm always shocked that they can find new things to do with BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Just steal whatever you want from me. Call it "sampling" if you have to. I felt bad reviewing that Dysrhythmia thing, because they are such an incredible band, but that demo CD is so uber-crappy. I hate talking shit about un-famous people, so I spent half the review talking about how good the songs on their MySpace page are. Their next album will be killer fer shure!

10:58 PM  
Blogger J T. Ramsay said...

I ended up having classic 13th hour inspiration, finding something interesting to say about two bands that are probably indistinguishable to most listeners and too arty for metal fans. That Coltrane posting at Blackmail helped, but it took a quick glance at Wiki to refresh my memory on the subject at hand. Quelle damage!

12:37 AM  
Blogger J T. Ramsay said...

I hasten to add that as cold comfort I get to review hype metal doom act Ocean as well. As usual I'm a standard 24 hours past deadline and feeling good, but I get the sneaking suspicion that management's on to my furtive practice of blogging/writing at work (well, I'm using "their" computer), but I can't tell if I rate a full-scale investigation, complete with monitoring, etc.

Also: I agree that backlash against bands who haven't had a proper "frontlash" is completely unwarranted, so I try to temper my negative reviews with something positive, aiming for that reasonable tone that Nitsuh achieves in just about everything. Usually it's after I've self-edited that I find myself adding the adjectives and adverbs that alter the meaning and produce the sort of review that requires changing its rating.

12:46 AM  
Blogger J T. Ramsay said...

So this post got totally plagiarized for today's Earthride review on Pitchfork. It made no sense!

It was like a litany of Southern Lord artists. Nigel hipster meta-commentary!

6:47 PM  
Blogger Christopher R. Weingarten said...

I'm officially a rumor mill!

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home